At Maplebeck Tree Care we provide a comprehensive service to survey, make application and gain relevant consent.

Conservation Area

Conservation Areas are designated by the local planning authority (LPA) in areas of special architectural or historic interest to help preserve or enhance their character or appearance. As a consequence of the Conservation Area designation, any tree that has a stem diameter greater than 75mm measured at 1.5m above ground level, requires written notice to the LPA if work is intended to be carried out.

Planning procedure

You have to give written notice to the LPA (by letter, email or on the LPA’s form) of any proposed work, describing what you want to do, at least six weeks before the work starts. This is called a ‘section 211 notice’ and it gives the LPA an opportunity to consider protecting the tree with a TPO.

Tree Preservation Order (TPO)

TPOs are administered by LPA (e.g. a borough, district or unitary council or a national park authority) and are made to protect trees that bring significant amenity benefit to the local area. This protection is particularly important where trees are under threat.

Planning procedure

Permission must be sought from the LPA by submitting a standard application form. The form is available from the planning portal or authority. It is important that the information on the form makes clear what the proposed work is and provides adequate information to support the case.


It binds the land and not an individual owner, it “runs with the land”. This means that the restrictive covenant continues over the land or property even when the current owner(s) sells it to another person. Restrictive covenants continue to have effect even though they may have been made many years ago and appear to be obsolete. Covenants or other restrictions in the title of a property or conditions in a lease may require the consent of a third party prior to carrying out tree work.